I knew my list to complete in 2011 was VERY ambitious and that I would likely not finish everything. Boy was I right!
1. Snakes and Vines - I set this aside until 2012, possible May delivery.
2. PIF 3 - done, but still needs to be delivered 3. 2. PIF 4 - still 1/2 done. I only need to put a back on it and quit it. 4. PIF 5 5. 3. Mondrian commission - beginning this month. Thanks for your patience, Sarah! 6. 4. Kona challenge quilt - partially quilted, would like to finish before the end of February 7. 5. Non-traditional Jack - maybe for my punk's birthday? (July) 8. My sweetie's quilt
Five out of twelve projects completed. Of course, I now have more VQB things to add:
8. Sewn Together VQB blocks for Hollie - fabric received
9. Modern Minx VQB - waiting for solids to arrive from fabric.com (along with a BUNCH of other cuts I probably didn't need, but loved)
10. Baby quilt for a friend - I promised a quilt for a friend's baby when she was born... She's a year old, now! Oops.
But enough about my to do list! Let's get to the pictures.
Here is #8, XOXOX, for my sweetie. I gave him the top last year for Christmas, but this year put a back on and quilted the dickens out of it!
Normally, I run from borders, but I included them for a couple of reasons. First, the quilt was just a tidge too small for my bed. It would fit, but the two of us might fight over it in the middle of the night, and he already steals the covers. Second, I just couldn't bring myself to paper piece any more blocks for this. I spent 48 hours piecing and tearing paper from the string blocks. My fingers were unbelievably sore when I was done. (TEASER - I've come up with another method of making these blocks. More to come on that, soon!)
As I was laying the quilt out to baste, I realized the borders made it seem as thought the blue and green diamonds were floating on top of a red field. I actually really like them! Go fig.
Not liking single-fabric backs, I pieced together a few from the top of the quilt. Love it!
Here, you can see the convergence of the quarters in the center. Each line is about one inch from the other. I went through 3+ spools of thread just for the quilting, but didn't keep track of how many I used to piece the blocks.
And here's another quilt, Purple Daisies!
Yes, Dresden plates are very traditional and I'm not, but my dear, sweet friend M is. Of course, I modernized it by using very modern purple fabrics (her favorite color) and increasing the size of the circles in the center (these were the pancakes you saw previously). You can't really tell, but the Dresdens are attached to a white on white stripe, which I knew she would love.
Look how happy she is!
Next up, a look back at the quilts of 2011 and a look forward to my goals of 2012!